- 1886 - Austria: Sigmund Freud opens his practice at Rathausstrasse 7, Vienna.
- 1901 - New York becomes the 1st state requiring automobile license plates ($1 fee).
- 1925 - Paul von Hindenburg was elected the President of Germany.
- 1928 - USA: A German Shepherd (Buddy), becomes 1st guide dog (Owner: Morris Frank).
- 1940 - Birthday: Al Pacino, American actor born in NYC, New York.
- 1950 - Chuck Cooper becomes 1st African American to play in NBA.
- 1969 - Last episode (5,400th) of BBC Radio serial "The Dales" (earlier known as "Mrs Dale's Diary").
- 1989 - Birthday: Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, 11th Panchen Lama, born in Lhari County, Tibet, China.
- 2015 - Nepal: 7.8-magnitude earthquake near Kathmandu, killed 8000+ people. Left 100,000+ homeless & destroyed many historic places.