- 1943 - Birthday: Robert De Niro, American actor (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull), born in NYC, New York.
- 1945 - Korea was divided into North and South Korea along the 38th parallel ending the Empire of Japan's 35-year rule of Korea.
- 1947 - The Radcliffe Line was drawn as a boundary demarcation line between India and Pakistan upon the Partition of India.
- 1950 - Indonesia gains independence from Netherlands.
- 1976 - An earthquake & tsunami in the Philippines kills about 8,000 people.
- 1982 - First Compact Discs (CDs) were released to the public in Germany.
- 1999 - Turkey: A 7.4-magnitude earthquake strikes İzmit, killing about 17,000 and injuring 44,000 people.
- 2012 - Russia: Gay pride events were banned for a century in Moscow.
- 2016 - USA: Flood waters recede in Louisiana killing 13 people and damaging 4,000 homes.