- 1965 - Romania adopts its constitution.
- 1967 - Birthday: Stéphane Charbonnier (Charb), French cartoonist and editor of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, born in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine France (age 47, died January 7, 2015).
- 1973 - Birthday: Sergey Brin, Russian-born American computer scientist and businessman (co-founder of Google with Larry Page), born in Moscow, Soviet Union.
- 1986 - Cameroon: Volcanic eruption releases poison gas, killing about 2,000 people.
- 1986 - Birthday: Usain Bolt, Jamaican sprinter (8x Olympic Gold 2008, 2012, 2016), born in Sherwood Content, Trelawny, Jamaica.
- 1991 - Latvia declares its independence from USSR.
- 1996 - Netscape Browser 3.0 is released.
- 2017 - Total solar eclipse visible from North America.