- 1601 - Church authorities in Rome burned Hebrew books. - 1639 - US: 1st Connecticut constitution adopted in Hartford, published by Rodger Ludlow. - 1641 - Malaysia: United East Indian Company conquers city of Malacca, 7,000+ people killed. - 1690 - Clarinet (musical instrument) invented in Nürnberg, Germany. - 1761 - Third Battle of Panipat: 60,000+ people were killed in the fight and 40,000+ Maratha prisoners massacred.
- 1898 - Lewis Carroll, English writer (author of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) dies at 65.
- 1907 - Jamaica: An earthquake in Kingston killed 1,000+ people. - 1918 - Finland and USSR adopted Gregorian calendar.
- 1936 - L M (Mario) Giannini becomes President of Bank of America.
- 1943 - Franklin D. Roosevelt travelled from Miami to Morocco to meet Winston Churchill, Becomes first American president to travel by airplane.
- 1960 - The Reserve Bank of Australia was established. - 1967 - Italy: Earthquake in Sicily killed 230+ people.
- 1977 - Anthony Eden, British Prime Minister (Conservative: 1955-57) dies of liver cancer at 79. - 1989 - France: 29 year old woman gives birth to sextuplets in Paris. - 2012 - Iraq: Suicide bomber killed 53 people in Basra. - 2015 - 63 people killed and 70,000 are left homeless due to floods in Mozambique and Malawi (Africa).