- 1497 - Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama departs on his first voyage (becomes first European to reach India by sea).
- 1796 - 1st US passport issued by US State Department.
- 1889 - Wall Street Journal begins publishing.
- 1979 - Congo adopts its constitution.
- 1994 - Kim Il-sung, Founder, dictator and Supreme Leader of North-Korea (1948-94), dies of a heart attack (born April 15, 1912, age 82).
- 2014 - FIFA World Cup: Germany defeat Brazil by a record 7-1 in the semi-finals.
- 2015 - The New York Stock Exchange stopped trading for four hours due to a technical error.