- 1762 - Austria starts using paper currency.
- 1775 - George Washington appointed commander-in-chief of the American Army.
- 1849 - James Knox Polk, 11th US President (1845-1849), dies in Nashville Tenn (born November 2, 1795, age 53).
- 1877 - Henry Ossian Flipper becomes 1st African American to graduate from West Point Military Academy
- 1940 - World War II: France surrenders & German troops occupy Paris
- 1953 - Birthday: Xi Jinping, president of the People's Republic of China (2013 - ), born in Beijing.
- 1973 - Birthday: Neil Patrick Harris, actor (Doogie Howser MD), born in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- 2012 - Apple I computer sold for $374,500.