- 1631 - Mumtaz Mahal dies during childbirth (born 27 April 1593, age 38) of her 14th child. Her husband, Mughal emperor Shah Jahan builds her tomb (after 20 years), the Taj Mahal.
- 1882 - USA: Tornado kills 130 in Iowa.
- 1940 - WW II: France asks Germany for terms of surrender. General Charles De Gaulle leaves Bordeaux for London.
- 1950 - 1st kidney transplant performed (Chicago).
- 1980 - Birthday: Venus Williams, American tennis player, born in Lynwood, California.
- 1988 - Microsoft releases MS DOS 4.0.
- 2015 - US Treasury announcement states that the image of Alexander Hamilton will be replaced from the US $10 bill by an image of a woman.