- 1853 - US President Franklin Pierce signs the Gadsden Purchase, buying 76,800 square kms from Mexico for US$10 million (now known as Arizona and New Mexico).
- 1881 - Mexico: 200 people drown as train runs off bridge in Cuautla.
- 1901 - 1st exhibition Pablo Picasso’s 1st exhibition opens in Paris.
- 1908 - Grover Cleveland, 22nd & 24th US President (1885-89, 93-97), dies (born March 18, 1837, age 71).
- 1977 - IRS reveals Jimmy Carter (39th US President) didn’t pay any taxes in 1976.
- 1987 - Birthday: Lionel Messi, Argentine footballer born in Rosario, Santa Fe.
- 2012 - Female athletes allowed to compete for Saudi Arabia at the Olympics for the first time.
- 2016 - British PM David Cameron resigns after UK votes to leave the European Union.
- 2017 - Yemen: UN states cholera reached 200,000 cases, with 1,300 deaths in the country.