- 1648 - India: Construction of the Red Fort (Delhi) completed.
- 1830 - Republic of Ecuador founded (Juan Jose Flores becomes president).
- 1848 - First performance of national anthem of Finland.
- 1884 - IEEE (Institute for Electrical & Electronics Engineers) formed in New York USA.
- 1981 - Pope John Paul II was shot by a Turkish gunman (Mehemet Ali Agca) in St Peter's Square, Vatican City.
- 1991 - Macintosh System 7.0 released by Apple.
- 1981 - Birthday: Sunny Leone (Karenjit Kaur Vohra), Canadian model, born in Ontario, Canada.
- 1986 - Robert Pattinson, (Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter, Edward Cullen in Twilight) English actor, born in London, England.
- 2001 - R.K. Narayan dies at the age of 94, Indian novelist, author of Malguidi Days.