- 1787 - USA: Constitutional convention opens at Philadelphia.
- 1895 - Oscar Wilde sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for indecency.
- 1911 - Revolution in Mexico overthrows President Jose Porfirio Diaz.
- 1927 - Henry Ford announces ending production of the Model T Ford.
- 1941 - India: Around 5,000 people drown in a storm at Ganges Delta region.
- 1961 - USA: President JFK (John F. Kennedy) announces US goal of putting a man on Moon before the end of decade.
- 1989 - Mikhail Gorbachev elected Executive President in the Soviet Union.
- 2011 - Oprah Winfrey airs last episode of her show, ending shows 25 years run.