- 1682 - Birthday: Calico Jack (John Rackham), English pirate captain born in England.
- 1705 - Fateh Singh (6) and Zorawar Singh (7), sons of Guru Gobind Singh were murdered by Wazir Khan. He bricked them alive, when they refused to accept Islam.
- 1862 - USA: 38 Dakota men were executed via hanging in Mankato, Minnesota.
- 1893 - Birthday: Mao Zedong, Chinese revolutionary and Chairman of the Communist Party of China (1949-76) born in Shaoshan, Hunan.
- 1935 - Birthday: Gnassingbe Eyadema, General and President of Togo (1967-2005), born in Kozah, Togo.
- 1986 - Hijacked Iraqi Airways Flight 163 Boeing-737 crashed in Saudi Arabia, 63 died and 43 survived.
- 1991 - India: Sikh separatists halted a train killed 55 & wound 70 in Punjab.
- 2004 - 9.3 magnitude earthquake caused a tsunami impacting Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Maldives and Indian Ocean, killed 230,000+ people.
- 2015 - Floods in Paraguay, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay displaced 150,000+ people.