February 02: This Day That Year
- 1536 - Pedro de Mendoza finds Argentine city of Buenos Aires.
- 1653 - New Amsterdam becomes a city (now known as New York City).
- 1892 - William Painter gets patent of bottle cap.
- 1920 - Estonia declares its Independence from Russia.
- 1933 - On his third day as a chancellor, Adolf Hitler dissolves the German Reichstag (Parliament).
- 1933 - Hermann Goering (political and military leader) bans Communist meetings/demonstrations in Germany.
- 1958 - Syria joined Egypt in United Arab Republic.
- 1962 - 8 of 9 planets align for 1st time in 400 years.
- 1967 - Bolivia adopts its constitution.
- 1971 - Idi Amin appointed himself President (dictator) of Uganda.
- 1977 - Birthday: Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, Colombian pop singer born in Barranquilla, Colombia.
- 1982 - Syria: Government troops and Muslim fundamentalists battle in Hamah.
- 1987 - Philippines adopts constitution
- 2014 - Protests in Ukraine turn violent after parliament outlaws protest.
- 2019 - Egypt: 40+ mummies from 323-30 BC found at a burial site at Tuna el-Gebel in Cairo.