February 05: This Day That Year
February 05 - 1597 - A group of early Japanese Christians (26 Martyrs) were killed (crucified) by the new government of Japan.
- 1723 - Birthday: John Witherspoon, who signed the Declaration of Independence, born in Gifford, Scotland.
- 1783 - Italy: Earthquakes ravage Calabria, killing 30,000
- 1869 - World's largest gold nugget (named Welcome Stranger, weighting ~71kg) found in Moliagul, Victoria, Australia.
- 1904 - American occupation of Cuba ends.
- 1915 - Birthday: Robert Hofstadter, American atomic physicist and Nobel laureate (electron scattering in atomic nuclei) born in NYC, New York.
- 1985 - Birthday: Cristiano Ronaldo, Portuguese soccer striker born in Funchal, Portugal.
- 1989 - Kareem Abdul-Jabar became 1st NBA player to score 38,000 points.
- 1992 - Birthday: Neymar Jr., Brazilian soccer forward born in Mogi das Cruzes, São Paulo.
- 1994 - Bosnia and Herzegovina: 68 people killed and 200 injured after a mortar bomb was set off in Sarajevo.
- 2016 - Computer hackers attempted to steal 1 billion dollars from Federal Reserve Bank of New York (Bangladesh Bank robbery). They stole 81 million dollars before a typo alerted the authorities.
- 2016 - Birthday: Jigme Namgyel Wangchuck, heir to throne of Bhutan, born in Thimphu, Bhutan.
- 2020 - US Senate votes to acquit President Donald Trump. 52-48 on charges of abuse of power and 53-47 on obstruction of Congress.