February 08: This Day That Year
- 1587 - Mary, Queen of Scots beheaded (age 44) after being convicted of plotting assassination of Elizabeth I.
- 1600 - Vatican convicts scholar Giordano Bruno to death (executiion by burning).
- 1963 - Iraq: Prime Minister Abd al-Karīm Qāsim (age 48) assassinated in Baghdad.
- 1834 - Dmitri Mendeleev, Russian chemist and inventor (devised the periodic table of the elements) born in Tobolsk, Russia.
- 1903 - Birthday: Tunku Abdul Rahman, founding father of Malaysia & 1st Prime Minister of Malaysia born in Alor Star, Kedah.
- 1905 - Cyclone hit Tahiti & adjacent islands, 10,000+ people killed.
- 1914 - Haiti: General Zamon becomes President.
- 1926 - Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio renamed to Walt Disney Studios.
- 1931 - China: Gas explosion Fire in Fushun-coal mine, Manchuria killed 3000+ people.
- 1994 - Kapil Dev (India) sets world record for most Test Cricket wickets with 432. Current world record is 800 wicket by Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka).
- 2013 - Iraq: 29 people were killed in a series bombings.
- 2013 - Pakistan: 16 people were killed by a market bombing in Kalaya.
- 2013 - Bangladesh: 100,000+ people march in Dhaka to demand justice for the atrocities of the Bangladesh Liberation War.
- 2013 - A massive blizzard US and Canada resulted in 15 deaths, 5,300 cancelled flights, and loss of power for 900,000 people.
- 2014 - Saudi Arabia: 15 people killed in a hotel fire in Medina.
- 2014 - Argentina: 17 people killed after a truck & bus collide in Mendoza.
- 2020 - Thailand: Gunman shot and killed 29 people in a shopping center in Nakhon Ratchasima. Shooter shot and killed by security forces a day later.