February 14: This Day That Year
- 270 - St. Valentine died (Valentine's Day)
- 1349 - France: 900+ Jews burned alive in Strasbourg after being blamed for the spread of the Black Death.
- 1400 - Richard II, king of England was murdered (age 33) at Pontefract Castle.
- 1483 - Birthday: Zahir-ud-din Muhammad Babur, 1st Emperor of the Mughal dynasty in the Indian Subcontinent, born in Andijan (now known as Uzbekistan).
- 1779 - James Cook, (discovered and explored Australia, Pacific Islands and New Zealand for Britain) killed in a fight with Hawaiians near Kealakekua (age 50).
- 1924 - Thomas J. Watson renamed the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (CTR) to International Business Machines (IBM).
- 1945 - Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay & Peru joined UN.
- 1959 - US: $3.6 million heroin seized in NYC.
- 1960 - Pakistan: Marshal Ayub Khan elected President
- 1979 - Afghanistan: Muslims kidnap the American ambassador (Adolph Dubs) to Afghanistan in Kabul. He was later killed during a gunfight between the kidnappers and police.
- 1989 - Union Carbide (Chemicals company) agreed to pay $470 million damages for Bhopal disaster in India. At least 3,787 people died.
- 1989 - Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa calling for the death of Salman Rushdie (also placed bounty on his head) and his publishers due to his novel "Satanic Verses".
- 1989 - The first of 24 satellites of the Global Positioning System (GPS) were placed into orbit.
- 2003 - Dolly the Sheep, first mammal to be cloned from an adult cell died (age 6) because of a lung disease.
- 2005 - Lebanon: Former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri was assassinated along with 21 others at an explosion in Beirut.
- 2019 - India: Explosive-packed vehicle crashed into paramilitary convoy in Kashmir and killed 40 Indian soilders. Islamic group Jaish-e-Mohammad claimed responsibility.
- 2019 - JP Morgan became the first bank to create its own crypto-currency JPM Coin.
- 2020 - Syria: 800,000+ people were displaced from their homes in north-west amid assault by the Syrian pro-government forces on last rebel stronghold.