February 17: This Day That Year
- 1510 - Portuguese admiral Afonso de Albuquerque conquered the city of Goa, India.
- 1874 - Birthday: Thomas J. Watson, Sr., Chairman and CEO of IBM (1914-1956), born in Campbell, New York.
- 1882 - Australia: 1st Test Cricket match played at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney, NSW.
- 1963 - Birthday: Michael Jordan, American Basketball player born in Brooklyn, New York.
- 1974 - Egypt: 50 people died in stampede for seats at soccer match (Zamalek Stadium) in Cairo.
- 1976 - Macau adopted its constitution.
- 1979 - China invaded Vietnam (Sino-Vietnamese War).
- 1981 - Birthday: Paris Hilton, American actress born in NYC, New York.
- 1984 - Birthday: AB de Villiers, South African cricketer born in Warmbad, Transvaal Province, South Africa.
- 1991 - Birthday: Ed Sheeran, English singer-songwriter born in Halifax, England.
- 2006 - Philippines: A massive mudslide in Southern Leyte killed 1,126 people.
- 2013 - Iraq: 37 people were killed in a series car bombings in Baghdad.
- 2016 - Turkey: Car bomb attack on military convoy in Ankara by Kurdish militants killed 28 people.
- 2016 - US: CEO Tim Cook confirmed that Apple will contest an FBI order to unlock the phone of San Bernardino gunman Syed Rizwan Farook.
- 2020 - India: Supreme Court granted equal rights to women in the armed forces.
- 2020 - General Motors announced it is retiring its Holden brand in Australasia.
- 2020 - Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos pledged $10 billion to help fight climate change.