January 02: This Day That Year
- 533 - John II becomes Catholic Pope.
- 1492 - Muhammad XII (Emir of Granada) surrenders his city to Ferdinand II |(of Aragon) and Isabel I (of Castile), ending centuries of Muslim rule in the Iberian peninsula.
- 1757 - British troops occupy Calcutta (India).
- 1788 - Georgia becomes 4th state to ratify US constitution.
- 1839 - 1st photo of the Moon click by French photographer Louis Daguerre.
- 1879 - Fred Spofforth (Australian fast bowler) dismisses 3 English batsmen at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, registers Test cricket's first "hat-trick".
- 1890 - Alice Sanger becomes the 1st female White House staffer
- 1906 - Willis Carrier gets a patent for the world's first air conditioner.
- 1929 - Canada & US agree to preserve Niagara Falls.
- 1942 - Japanese troops occupy Manila (Philippines).
- 1944 - Helicopters used during warfare for the first time.
- 1947 - Mahatma Gandhi begins march for peace in East Bengal (India).
- 1965 - Ayub Khan becomes President of Pakistan.
- 1992 - Shane Warne makes Test debut vs India in 3rd Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
- 2016 - Saudi Arabia executes 47 alleged terrorists.