January 09: This Day That Year
- 1317 - Phillips V becomes king of France. - 1349 - Switzerland: 700+ Jews of Basel burned alive in their homes.
- 1570 - Russia: Tsar Ivan kills 1,000+ residents of Novgorod.
- 1718 - France declares war on Spain. - 1788 - USA: Connecticut becomes 5th state to ratify the US constitution. - 1792 - Russia & Turkey sign Peace of Jassy - 1799 - British Prime Minister William Pitt introduces income tax to raise funds for the war against Napoleon.
- 1812 - Napoleon occupies Swedish Pomerania (Germany).
- 1858 - Anson Jones, the last President of the Republic of Texas, commits suicide.
- 1878 - Victor Emmanuel II, King of Italy (1861-78), dies at 57.
- 1878 - Umberto I becomes King of Italy.
- 1913 - Birthday: Richard Nixon, 37th US President (Republican 1969-74) born in Yorba Linda, California. - 1923 - India: Swaraj political party founded with Chittaranjan Das as president and Motilal Nehru its secretary - 1941- Romania: 6,000+ Jews killed in Bucharest. - 1945 - US Gen. Douglas MacArthur invades Philippines.
- 1962 - NFL prohibits grabbing of face masks - 1962 - US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 1970 - Constitution of Singapore enacted. - 1980 - Saudi Arabia: 63 men beheaded for attack on Mosque in Mecca. - 1981 - Francisco Balsamao becomes President of Portugal.
- 1982 - Birthday: Kate Middleton wife of Crown Prince William, born in Reading, Berksire. - 1987 - Chinese & Vietnamese border fights - 1,500+ killed. - 2001 - Apple announced iTunes.
- 2002 - Michael Jackson receives the Artist of the Century award at the American music awards.
- 2007 - Apple Inc CEO & Co-Founder Steve Jobs announced the iPhone.
- 2014 - Pakistan: Taliban suicide car bomb assassinates senior police officer Chaudhry Aslam and kills three others. - 2018 - Australia: The first same-sex marriages take place after legislation passed a month ago.
- 2018 - President Donald Trump cancels program allowing 200,000 San Salvadoreans temporary status to live in the US. - 2020 - Iran: Flight 752, en route to Kyiv from Tehran was shot down by Iranian military (by mistake). All 176 passengers including crew members were killed, 82 of those on board were Iranian nationals, 63 were Canadian, 11 from Ukraine and 10 from Sweden.