January 11: This Day That Year
- 1693 - Italy: Mount Etna (Stratovolcano) in Sicily erupts with estimated 7.4 magnitude killed 60,000+ people.
- 1755 - Birthday: Alexander Hamilton, US Founding Father and 1st United States Secretary of the Treasury (1789-95), born in Charlestown, Nevis, West Indies. - 1759 - 1st American life insurance company (Presbyterian Ministers' Fund) incorporated at Philadelphia.
- 1815 - Birthday: John A. Macdonald, 1st Prime Minister of Canada (1867-1873 and 1878-1891), born in Glasgow, Scotland.
- 1838 - USA: Samuel Morse and Alfred Vail give first public demonstration of telegraph message (sent using dots & dashes at Speedwell Ironworks, Morristown, New Jersey).
- 1839 - Jamaica: Earthquake at Martinique destroys half of Port Royal, - 700+.
- 1874 - Gail Borden, inventor of condensed milk, dies at 72. - 1879 - British Lt-General Chelmsford invades Zululand in South Africa, beginning of Anglo-Zulu War.
- 1893 - Jaap Eden skates world record 1500m (2:35).
- 1922 - Insulin first used on humans (treatment of diabetes) on Canadian Leonard Thompson, age 14.
- 1934 - Birthday: Jean Chrétien, 20th Prime Minister of Canada (Liberal: 1993-2003), born in Shawinigan, Quebec.
- 1942 - Japan occupies Kuala Lumpur. - 1957 - USA: Mass-murderer Jack Gilbert Graham is executed via the Gas Chamber in Colorado Penitentiary. He had killed 44 people aboard United Airlines Flight 629 near Longmont, Colorado using a dynamite time bomb. - 1962 - Peru: Volcano Huascaran erupts killed 4,000+ people. - 1966 - Brazil: 550 die in landslides after rain in mountains behind Rio de Janeiro. - 1972 - East-Pakistan becomes independent state of Bangladesh. Abu Sayeed Chudhury becomes President of Bangladesh and Sheikh Mujibur Rahman premier.
- 1973 - Birthday: Rahul Dravid, Indian cricketer born in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India.
- 1981 - Palau adopts its constitution - 1982 - Honduras adopts its constitution - 1989 - 140 nations agree to ban chemical weapons during a conference in France.
- 1991 - Carl David Anderson, American physicist, Nobel laureate (discovery of the positron), dies at 85. - 1998 - Algeria: Sidi-Hamed massacre, 100+ people killed by Sidi-Hamed estimated gunmen attacking children and adults.
- 2008 - Edmund Hillary (New Zealand mountaineer), 1st to climb Mt Everest in 1953, dies from a heart attack at 88.
- 2013 - China: 46+ people after a landslide buries a village in the Yunnan province.
- 2013 - Nepal: 29 people are killed after a bus veers off a mountain road in Doti.
- 2015 - Anita Ekberg, Miss Sweden 1950, dies at 83.
- 2018 - US President Donald Trump called African countries "shitholes" during a immigration meeting.