January 13: This Day That Year
- 1099 - Syria: Crusaders set fire to Mara. - 1610 - Galileo Galilei discovers 4th satellite of Jupiter (Callisto).
- 1883 - Poland: Fire in Circus Ferroni in Berditschoft kill 430 people. - 1908 - France: Henri Farman becomes the first person to fly an observed circuit of more than 1 km, won the Grand Prix d'Aviation.
- 1915 - Italy: Earthquake in Avezzano killed 29,000+ people. - 1917 - Romania: Train at Ciurea station catches fire and explodes, killed 800+ people. - 1930 - "Mickey Mouse" comic strip debuts. - 1938 - The Church of England accepts the theory of evolution.
- 1939 - Australia: The Black Friday bush fires burn 20,000+ square kilometres (4,942,000 acres) of land in Victoria. - 1943 - Adolf Hitler declares "Total War". - 1953 - Marshal Josip Tito becomes president of Yugoslavia.
- 1958 - 9,000 scientists from 43 nations petition United Nation for nuclear test ban. - 1959 - French President Charles de Gaulle grants amnesty to 130 Algerians sentenced to death.
- 1964 - India: Hindu-Muslim riots in Calcutta (now Kolkata) 100+ people died. - 1966 - US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site. - 1978 - NASA select its first American women astronauts. - 1982 - US: Air Florida 737 took off in a snowstorm, crashes & falls into Potomac River, killed 78 people.
- 1985 - Ethiopia: Express train derails killing 420+ people.
- 1990 - Douglas Wilder-Virginia becomes 1st elected African American Governor. - 1991 - Mário Soares of Portugal re-elected as President.
- 1991 - South Africa: 42 killed in exhibition soccer match in Johannesburg.
- 1991 - South Africa: Soccer stadium riot in Orkney, 40+ people died.
- 2000 - Microsoft chairman Bill Gates steps aside as CEO and promotes company president Steve Ballmer to the position.
- 2001 - El Salvador: Earthquake measuring magnitude 7.6 killed 840+ people. - 2012 - Italy: Italian cruiseliner Costa Concordia runs aground at Isola de Giglio, killed 32 people.
- 2014 - China: 14 people are killed after an explosion in an illegal gambling hall in Kaili City.
- 2016 - US: Record Powerball lottery held, $1.6 billion, (3 winning tickets).
- 2018 - US: Early-morning ballistic missile alert sent across Hawaii in error.