January 16: This Day That Year
- 1547 - Ivan IV (17) crowned himself first Tsar of Moscow.
- 1556 - Roman Emperor Charles V appointed his son Philip II, King of Spain. - 1761 - India: The British captured Pondicherry from the French. - 1777 - US: Vermont declares independence from New York. - 1793 - France: French King Louis XVI sentenced to death by the National Convention during the French Revolution.
- 1853 - Birthday: Andre Michelin, tire manufacturer (Michelin) and publisher of the Michelin Guide born in Paris.
- 1862 - England: Hartley Colliery (coal mining) disaster resulted in 204 deaths.
- 1901 - Birthday: Fulgencio Batista, Dictator & President of Cuba (1933-44, 1952-59), born in Banes, Cuba.
- 1901 - Hiram R. Revels, 1st African American Senator, dies at 73.
- 1935 - Birthday: A. J. Foyt, American racing driver (Indy 500 - 1961, 64, 67 & 77), born in Houston, Texas (USA). - 1939 - "Superman" comic strip debuts.
- 1945 - Germany: Adolf Hitler moves into the Fuhrerbunker (underground bunker) in Berlin.
- 1947 - Vincent Aurial elected President of France - 1956 - Egyptian President Nasser took a pledge to reconquer Palestine. - 1965 - USSR performed nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk.
- 1970 - Muammar Gaddafi took over rule of Libya.
- 1979 - Iran: Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi flees Iran for Egypt during the Iranian Revolution
- 2001 - Congolese President Laurent-Désiré Kabila assassinated by one of his bodyguards. - 2006 - Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf became president of Liberia. Africa's first female elected head of state.
- 2013 - Syria: 24 people died after three car bombs exploded in Idlib Governorate. - 2013 - Algeria: A four day occupation of an Algerian BP facility by Amenas militants began, 48 hostages were killed. Later 685 Algerian workers and 107 foreigners were freed. - 2013 - Egypt: 25 people were killed after an apartment block collapses in Alexandria. - 2016 - First ever flower grown in space (a zinnia) aboard the International Space Station using NASA Veggie system. - 2019 - Syria: Explosion by a suicide bomber aimed at US-led coalition forces at a market in Manjib killed 18 people.
- 2019 - United Nations reported 890+ people were killed and 465 buildings were destroyed due to ethnic violence in the western Democratic Republic of Congo in December.