January 18: This Day That Year
- 336 - St Mark becomes Catholic Pope. - 532 - Nika uprising against Emperor Justinian I in Constantinople (Roman Empire) failed, 30,000+ people killed by troops loyal to the Emperor in the Hippodrome.
- 1535 - Peru: Francisco Pizarro found the city of Lima.
- 1733 - US: 1st polar bear exhibited in Boston. - 1777 - San Jose (California) founded.
- 1862 - John Tyler, 10th US President (1841-45), dies in Richmond VA at 71.
- 1871 - Second German Empire proclaimed by Kaiser Wilhelm I & Otto Von Bismarck.
- 1896 - US: 1st demonstration of an X-ray machine in NYC. - 1919 - Bentley Motors Limited founded in Cricklewood. - 1919 - Poland: Composer & musician Ignacy Jan Paderewski becomes Prime Minister.
- 1936 - Rudyard Kipling, English author (Gunga Din, Nobel 1907), dies at 70. He was born in Mumbai, India.
- 1947 - China: A river steamer sinks on Yangtze River, killed 400+ people. - 1951 - Lie detector used for the first time in Netherlands.
- 1858 - Birthday: Daniel Williams, American heart surgeon who performed the 1st open heart surgery, born in Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania USA.
- 1882 - Birthday: A. A. Milne, English author of the Winnie-the-Pooh books, born in Hampstead Middlesex, England.
- 1933 - Birthday: Ray Dolby, American sound expert & inventor (Dolby noise limiting system), born in Portland, Oregon (USA).
- 1944 - Birthday: Paul Keating, 24th Prime Minister of Australia (1991-96), born in Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia. - 1960 - US: Capital Airlines Flight 20 crashed in Virginia, killed all 50 people on-board. - 1962 - US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site. - 1967 - US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site. - 1968 - USSR performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR - 1969 - US: United Airlines Flight 266 crashed into Santa Monica Bay (CA), killed all 38 people on-board. - 1981 - Iran accepted US offer of $7.9 billion in frozen assets. - 1991 - US acknowledged CIA & US Army paid Manuel Noriega (military officer) $320,000 over his career.
- 1993 - US: Martin Luther King Jr. holiday observed in all 50 states for 1st time.
- 2005 - France: The Airbus A380 (World's largest commercial jet) unveiled. - 2008 - The United Nations announced George Clooney as a UN messenger of peace.
- 2015 - South African batsman AB de Villiers makes the fastest century in ODI cricket from 31 balls against the West Indies.