January 24: This Day That Year
- 41 - Caligula (Gaius Caesar), 3rd Roman Emperor (37-41 AD, aged 28) assassinated by Praetorian Guards.
- 1076 - German King Henry IV fires Pope Gregory VII.
- 1746 - Birthday: Gustav III, King of Sweden (1771-92), born in Stockholm.
- 1839 - Charles Darwin was elected Fellow of the Royal Society.
- 1857 - India: University of Calcutta founded as the first full-fledged university in South Asia. - 1913 - Franz Kafka stops working on his writing "Amerika".
- 1924 - Italy: Benito Mussolini disallows non-fascists work union.
- 1930 - Stewie Dempster scores New Zealand's 1st Cricket Test century.
- 1935 - 1st canned beer, "Krueger's Cream Ale," was sold by Krueger Brewing Co.
- 1936 - France: Albert Sarraut becomes Prime Minister.
- 1939 - Chile: 30,000 killed by earthquake in Concepcion.
- 1943 - Germany: Jewish patients, nurses and doctors incinerated at Auschwitz-Birkenau. - 1958 - First manmade nuclear fusion: 2 light atoms are bashed together to create a heavier atom, after warming to 100,000,000 degrees.
- 1965 - Winston Churchill, PM of Britain (1940-45, 51-55) British leader during WWII dies at 90.
- 1966 - Air India Boeing-707 plane crashes into Mont Blanc, France. 17 passengers were killed. - 1972 - Japanese Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi was found hiding in a Guam jungle, he was hiding since the end of World War II. - 1979 - US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site. - 1984 - Apple Computer Inc unveils its Macintosh personal computer. - 1986 - Voyager 2 (launched on 20 August 1977) makes its 1st fly-by of Uranus (81,593 km).
- 1989 - US: Ted Bundy, American serial killer (killed 100+ women during the 1970s) executed by electric chair in Florida at 42.
- 1990 - New Zealand: 14th Commonwealth Games open in Auckland. - 1993 - Polish ferry boat John Heweliusz sinks, 52 died. - 2006 - Walt Disney International and Bob Iger announce purchase of computer animation film studio Pixar for $7.4 billion.
- 2017 - USA: President Donald Trump withdraws the US from the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPPA).
- 2018 - USA: Former Olympic team doctor Larry Nassar found guilty of molesting over 150 girls, sentenced 175 years in prison.