January 25: This Day That Year
- 41 - Claudius was accepted as Roman Emperor by the Senate.
- 1348 - Friuli Earthquake (6.9) in European southern Alps, destroys Villach, killed 5,000+. - 1554 - Brazil: City of São Paulo was found. - 1802 - Italy: Napoleon Bonaparte elected president of Italian (Cisalpine) Republic.
- 1825 - US: 1st US engineering college opens, Rensselaer Polytechnic, Troy, NY. - 1840 - American naval expedition under Charles Wilkes identifies Antarctica as a new continent.
- 1852 - Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen (Russian explorer) who discovered the continent of Antarctica dies at 72.
- 1904 - USA: 179 die in coal mine explosion at Cheswick, Pennsylvania. - 1924 - France: 1st Winter Olympic Games open in Chamonix.
- 1933 - Birthday: Corazon Aquino, 11th President of the Philippines (1986-92), born in Paniqui, Tarlac, Philippines.
- 1949 - Israel: 1st Israeli election won by David Ben-Gurion's Mapai party.
- 1971 - India: Himachal Pradesh becomes 18th Indian state.
- 1975 - Bangladeshi parliament disposes of premier Sheikh Mujibur Rahman (founding father of Bangladesh).
- 1981 - 52 Americans held hostage by Iran for 444 days arrived in US.
- 1993 - Puerto Rico adds English as its 2nd official language. - 1999 - Earthquake hits Colombia, South America, killed 300+. - 2004 - NASA: Opportunity rover (MER-B) lands on surface of Mars.
- 2005 - India: A stampede at the Mandher Devi temple in Mandhradevi killed 250+. - 2010 - Ethiopian Airlines Flight 409 crashes into the Mediterranean Sea shortly after take-off from Beirut Rafic Hariri International Airport, killed all 90 on-board.
- 2011 - Egyptian Revolution of 2011 begins with street demonstrations, rallies, acts of civil disobedience, labor strikes and violent clashes in Cairo, Alexandria and other major cities. - 2013 - Syria: 8 people were killed by 2 car bombs in Golan Heights. - 2013 - 6 civilians and 1 police officer were shot dead and 456 people were injured during a nationwide protest against Egypt’s 2011 revolution.
- 2013 - Venezuela: 50 people were killed and 90 were injured in a prison riot in Barquisimeto. - 2015 - Miss Colombia Paulina Vega was crowned Miss Universe 2014. - 2019 - USA: Longest-ever government shutdown ends after 35 days when President Donald Trump agrees to 3 weeks of negotiations on border security by a House-Senate conference committee
- 2019 - Brazil: Tailing dam for an iron ore mine in Brumadinho, south-eastern Brazil, collapses killed 110+.