January 26: This Day That Year
Updated: a day ago
- 1340 - English king Edward III became king of France.
- 1788 - Captain Arthur Phillip hoists the Union Flag at Sydney Cove, New South Wales (celebrated as Australia Day).
- 1823 - Edward Jenner father of immunology, he pioneered smallpox vaccinations, dies at 73.
- 1837 - USA: Michigan admitted as 26th state.
- 1880 - Birthday: Douglas MacArthur, American General in World War II, born in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- 1891 - Birthday: Frank Costello, Italian-American gangster (The PM of the Underworld), born in Lauropoli, Calabria, Italy. - 1905 - World's largest diamond (the 3,106-carat Cullinan) was found in South Africa.
- 1918 - Birthday: Nicolae Ceausescu, Communist dictator of Romania (1967-89), born in Scornicești, Romania.
- 1924 - American skater Charles Jewtraw claims the first ever Winter Olympic gold medal by winning 500m speed skating event in 44.0s at the Chamonix Games in France.
- 1940 - Nazis forbid Polish Jews to travel on trains. - 1950 - Constitution of India comes into effect & Rajendra Prasad becomes India's first president. - 1957 - India annexes Kashmir.
- 1958 - Birthday: Ellen DeGeneres, comediene (Ellen Morgan-Ellen), born in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. - 1958 - Japanese ferry (Nankai Maru) capsized off southern Awaji Island, 167 people were killed. - 1967 - USSR performs nuclear test at Sary Shagan USSR - 1968 - Israeli submarine Dakar sinks in Mediterranean Sea, 69 people died. - 1989 - AT&T reports 1st loss in 103 years ($1.67 B in 1988). - 1998 - Intel launched 333 MHz Pentium II chip.
- 2001 - India: An earthquake hits Gujarat and killed 20,000+ people.
- 2004 - Afghanistan: President Hamid Karzai signs the new constitution. - 2005 - Condoleezza Rice becomes U.S. Secretary of State (the first African American woman to hold the post).
- 2005 - USA: Two trains derail killing 11 and injuring 200+ in Glendale, California. - 2013 - Egypt: 30 people killed during a violent protest in Port Said. - 2013 - Afghanistan: 10 people are killed and 20 are injured by a suicide bombing in Kunduz.
- 2013 - Anonymous group hacks the United States Sentencing Commission in response to the suicide of Aaron Swartz.
- 2014 - A tourist boat capsizes off the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, 21 people were killed.
- 2019 - Naomi Osaka becomes world #1 ranked player with 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 win over Petra Kvitová of the Czech Republic; first Japanese player to win Australian singles title.
- 2020 - Kobe Bryant (age 41), along with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna and seven others died due to a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California.