- 1527 - Mughal Invasion of India: Battle of Khanwa: Mughal Emperor Babur defeated Rajput forces led by Rana Sanga consolidating Mughal power.
- 1751 - Birthday: James Madison, 4th US President (1809-17), born in Port Conway, Virginia.
- 1939 - World War II: Germany occupied Czechoslovakia.
- 1978 - Amoco Cadiz spills 223,000 tons of crude oil off French coast.
- 1988 - Iraq: Chemical attack on Kurdish town of Halabja by Iraqi forces kills 5000+ civilians.
- 2012 - Indian cricketer batsman Sachin Tendulkar became first cricketer to score 100 international centuries.
- 2013 - Pakistan: 24 Army soldiers killed in Rawalpindi after their bus fell down a ravine.