March 23: This Day That Year
- 1839 - 1st observed use of word "OK" (oll korrect).
- 1857 - 1st elevator installed at 488 Broadway in NYC by Elisha Otis.
- 1868 - University of California founded in Oakland.
- 1881 - Fire incidents in Nice France opera house caused by gas lamp, killed 70.
- 1929 - USA: White House gets first 1st telephone installed.
- 1931 - Bhagat Singh (age 23), Rajguru (23) and Sukhdev (23) hanged to death during the Indian struggle for independence. Their request to be shot by a firing squad was declined.
- 1933 - Adolf Hitler gets dictatorial powers from German Reichstag.
- 1944 - Nicholas Alkemade falls & survives from 5,500 m without a parachute after abandoning his out-of-control, burning aircraft over Germany.
- 1956 - Pakistan proclaimed as an Islamic republic in Commonwealth.
- 1994 - Kapil Dev (Captain of 1983 World Cup winning team) retires from test cricket.
- 1999 - "Livin' la Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin released & sells 8+ million copies.