March 26: This Day That Year
- 1552 - Guru Amar Das becomes the 3rd Guru of Sikhs.
- 1636 - Opening ceremony of University of Utrecht Netherlands.
- 1668 - England takes control of Bombay, India.
- 1812 - Venezuela: Earthquake kills 20,000+ people.
- 1824 - 1st performance of Ludwig van Beethoven's "Missa Solemnis".
- 1827 - Ludwig van Beethoven dies at 56 (born 1770).
- 1910 - USA bans immigration to criminals, anarchists, paupers & the sick.
- 1945 - Iwo Jima occupied by US troops, 18,000 Japanese & 6,000 Americans killed.
- 1953 - Dr Jonas Salk announces the vaccine to prevent polio.
- 1971 - Bangladesh (East Pakistan) declares its independence.
- 1989 - USSR Conducts its 1st free elections; 190 million votes cast; Boris Yeltsin becomes president.
- 1997 - Heaven's Gate Cult suicides, 39 bodies found.
- 1998 - Algeria: Oued Bouaicha massacre, 52 people (32 babies under age 2) killed with axes & knives.
- 2005 - James Callaghan, British PM (age 92, born March 27 1912) dies of lobar pneumonia, cardiac failure & kidney failure.
- 2006 - Scotland: Prohibition of smoking in all substantially enclosed public places.
- 2012 - James Cameron becomes the first person to visit Challenger Deep (the deepest point on Earth).