March 30: This Day That Year
- 1853 - Birthday: Vincent van Gogh born in Groot-Zundert, Netherlands (died July 29 1890).
- 1858 - Hyman Lipman patents Pencil with attached eraser.
- 1867 - USA buys Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million (2 cents/acre).
- 1870 - 15th Amendment in US constitution is adopted guarantees right to vote regardless of race.
- 1959 - Dalai Lama gets political asylum in India after fleeing China.
- 1987 - Vincent van Gogh's painting "Sunflowers" sells for $39.7 million.
- 1965 - Vietnam War: A car bomb explodes in front of the U.S. Embassy in Saigon, killing 22.
- 1968 - Birthday: Celine Dion, Canadian singer, born in Charlemagne, Quebec.
- 2002 - Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) of the United Kingdom, dies at 101 (born August 4 1900).
- 2013 - North Korea declares state of war with South Korea.