March 31: This Day That Year
- 1727 - Isaac Newton dies in London (aged 84, born January 4, 1643).
- 1831 - Quebec & Montreal gets incorporated.
- 1870 - 1st African American votes in US (Thomas P Mundy of NJ).
- 1889 - Eiffel Tower opens in Paris, holds record of tallest man made structure for 41 years.
- 1916 - All military engagements terminated by the Dutch government.
- 1917 - Danish West Indies purchased by USA for $25 million, renamed to Virgin Islands.
- 1918 - USA: 1st daylight savings time goes into effect.
- 1933 - German Republic gives power to Hitler.
- 1948 - Birthday: Al Gore, American Vice President (1993-2001).
- 1983 - Colombia: Around 5000 people killed due to an Earthquake.
- 1986 - Mexicana Airlines Boeing 727 crashes, kills 167.
- 1989 - Eastern's Northeast Shuttle purchased by Donald Trump.